Some Much Needed Progress

After the frustration the other night of knitting the wrong repeat, I finally managed to tink back all four rows I had done incorrectly. Now, four rows doesn’t sound like that much, until you consider that those rows are each about 4 foot wide.

So once all the un-knitting was complete, I managed to move forward again and get a few repeats done.

I decided to lay out the big, purple, monster of a blanket to see how far along I really am. I was pleasantly surprised.

The length is about 24 inches now. I figure it will be roughly 60 inches long so I want to call this “almost half way”.

Sorry about the dark picture, I took this in my bedroom around midnight.

afghan

 

Doing the Unthinkable

So I am, after a year of avoiding them, knitting a sock. Nothing fancy, just a plain old stockinette sock. I am not big on wearing socks (I’m more of a barefoot girl) so I planned to give this sock (so ever produce its mate) to my mom. She’s a knitter and constantly cold so she seemed like the ideal person to appreciate a sock knit from handspun yarn.

Unfortunately, this sock is seeming… rather large. My mom is a skinny, short little thing and so her ankles and feet are fairly thin. This sock is big enough around, somehow, that it would be pretty saggy on her.

The good news is that I have big feet and ankles (I blame my sturdy, Czech ancestry) so they will fit me. Now that I’m on to knitting the foot I even slipped it on to test it and it really does fit me well. But that means I have to knit the foot long enough to accommodate my US size 10 foot. Not a huge issue, right?

Here’s my concern… sock number two. With how large sock one will be… I didn’t really consider the amount of yarn left over to create the second sock. It really might not be enough and, given the handspun nature, I can’t get any more.

I intend to weight sock one when it’s complete and then weight my remaining yarn to see how it will pan out. It may be fine. Maybe that ball of yarn is wound tighter than it looks and the smallish sized ball holds a deceptive amount of yarn. It’s totally possible. I’m tempted to weight the sock now but that would include the needles and not all of the required yarn so it wouldn’t be accurate.

I won’t lie, if this falls through… it might be what ruins me for knitting socks forever…

Back in The Stash!

After multiple attempts to make something legitimate out of this Blue Heron yarn… I have given up and banished it back to the stash.

Here’s what went wrong:

1. The Tag – The yarn is from a small company that uses one generic tag for all their yarns. It lists the possible yarns with yardage. The option selected on my tag said “Silk/Rayon Twist – 350 Yards”. Ravelry told me that this was an Aran weight yarn. I ignored the fact that this seemed lighter than an Aran, but I’ve never been skilled at guessing yarn weight. I also ignored that, when I was rolling it, there seemed to be more than 350 yards.

After much more research, I finally found a photo of this supposed Silk/Rayon Twist. It was definitely not what I had…

2. The First Pattern – During my brief delusion that I was dealing with an Aran weight yarn, I pursued a few patterns for Arans and cast on a scarf on US 7 needles. It looked like fishnet… I sized all the way down to US4 needles and was finally able to get a little stitch definition and a solid fabric. I struggled with the pattern for awhile and finally decided it wasn’t intended for such a silky, shiny yarn. You couldn’t see the details well.

I frogged it. 

3. The Real Yarn – So I finally browsed the manufactures website (which leaves much to be desired), plus Ravelry, and was able to venture a pretty good guess that I actually had Softwist Rayon yarn, which Ravelry touts as a DK. It comes in skeins of 525 yards, which sounded more fitting to my ball winding time. 

4. The Next Search – I began to search for patterns that would work for anything from fingering weight to DK, but specifically those that were intended for rayon, hoping to avoid the issue with the first pattern. I found a pattern for a gorgeous cowl.

5. The Cowl- I cast on the cowl with US 5 needles, as the pattern requested. It still came out very lose with little to no stitch definition. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of lace knitting and all, but that wasn’t my intention for this at all. 

I frogged the meager cowl start.

6.Another pattern- I don’t even remember what this was meant to be. A scarf? I think. All I remember is I specifically bought US5 straight needles to knit it. It was crappy. 

It was frogged.

6. Let’s make s**t up! –Exhausted with all my previous attempts, I pulled out some size US 4 needles (which I had determined to be the best size for this yarn), cast on some random number of stitches until it looked vaguely scarf width, and decided to do a stockinette scarf with a small garter stitch border. After only a row or two, I decided the 4’s were too big still.

A little frogging was don.

I yanked the US3’s out of another project and tried again. After an inch of garter stitch, it still didn’t look like what I wanted at all.

Finally, I ripped the damn needles out, frogged the whole mess, and this stupid, silky, shiny, beautiful, impossible to use, expensive, wonderful, horrible yarn was banished into the back of stash closet. 

I do not want to see it again until it can come back out and behave like upstanding yarn.