Stunning Socks

I’ve neglected my knitting blog for so long now. Working full time and being a graduate student seems to have sucked the life out of me. Since I’m in between programs at the moment, and taking some time off, my crafting is picking up. This post by Knitting Sarah gave me some inspiration to share my latest socks.

These are afterthought heel socks and the yarn is the Atom colorway from String Theory Colorworks. I did also use one of their heel/toe mini skeins in chartreuse. String Theory is one of my absolute favorite dyers and everyone who has seen these socks has tried to convince me to give them to them. Alas, as much as I love them myself, I am giving them to my mom this Christmas. If they weren’t slightly too small for me I would very likely keep them for myself. Darn my big feet!

photo (1)

Finished: Canyon Breeze Cowl

I finished my moebius cowl from the first month of the Mountain Colors Yarn Club from Paradise Fibers. The pattern was called Canyon Breeze, but I can’t find it on Ravelry so I don’t have a link for you. The yarn is Mountain Colors Monarch in Harmony Aspen. The cowl had a faux-cable pattern which I’m almost certain I did wrong but the result was fine. I didn’t understand the whole “skip two stitches, knit into the 3rd stitch” part. I was knitting into the front of that stitch instead of knitting normally but that’s ok. I also had to learn the kitchener stitch and provisional cast on for this project.

I will be giving this to my boss, because she loves blue.

image (1) photo (2)

Finished Project: Escargot Hat

I finished this hat the other day and it has already been given to my coworker. She is having a rough time right now because he kitty is sick and I thought it would look good on her.

I did have to stretch my skills just a little to make this one because it uses a cable cast on, which I hadn’t done before. I really like how it turned out. It is knit all as one piece, which was great. I did have one issue that is concerning, the red dye ran when  rinsed it. The color coming off was so bad that my hands turned pink as I knit. If anyone has tips for how to handle this in the future, I’d be happy to hear them, because the yellow did get kind of stained.

The yarn is Sundara’s Aran Silky Merino in Raspberry Ripple and Lemon Drop. The pattern is Escargot by Veronica Parsons, which is available for free. It’s escargot because of the snail like pattern on the hat (escargot is French for snail).

I have yarn left over from this that is enough to make another version of the hat with the colors reversed, but I may do a different pattern.

 

image_1 image

 

Finished Project: Turtle Set

Finally! I can post this!

The reason things have been so quiet around here is that all my knitting time has been devoted to finishing a cardigan and matching hat. One of my coworkers and his wife are expecting their first baby this fall. He’s taking a new job to be home with the kiddo so I had to quickly finish the set to get it to him today. I didn’t want to post anything about the project until I had given it so it could still be a surprise.

So now… the big reveal!

image(1) image image(2)

Sorry for the poor picture quality. I was trying to snap the shots last night while dealing with an injured and very drugged out dog.

Look! The buttons are turtles. I was determined to have teal buttons to match the yarn.

The sweater pattern is Buttons Cardigan #606. 

The hat is the Myshka Tuque except I did the edge in garter stitch so it would match the sweater.

The yarn is Debbie Macomber’s Wild Meadow in color Juneau.

The pattern was very easy to work. It’s knit top down in one piece with a garter stitch edge.

Overall, I was incredibly pleased with this set (although I’m worried the hat is too big) and I hope the parents-to-be get good use out of it.

Not Everything I Do Goes Wrong

I swear!

While I’ve had a million issues with all my new projects I’m attempting to start with fancy yarns, I’ve also been working on a very simple baby cardigan in a very nice acrylic/wool blend. I haven’t posted much about it because it’s intended to be a gift and I don’t want to ruin the surprise. But I’ve accomplished the collar, chest, and most of one sleeve so I am moving right along. The pattern is Buttons Cardigan #606 by Cabin Fever. I made one little flub on the collar because I thought I knew better than the pattern (I don’t) but nothing major. This project has gone surprisingly well (knock on wood).

I’ll share the sample photo because my project is going to be very different looking.