Green With Frustration

I finally worked on my green hat again last night and managed to finish it. I sat and watched The Odd Life of Timothy Green (I have a green thing going) while I tackled the decreases on this hat. I had attempted to start the decreases the other night and, after an hour of frustration, gave up. The way this little tam works up, the decreases form a star shape at the top of the hat. In order to keep the sections of the star straight, the author of the pattern suggests placing stitch markers. Now, I became so frustrated with how this was working out I was about ready to send the designer a nasty message along the lines of “Why would you have us place markers if the stitch count of the next row doesn’t line up with them?!?” Luckily, I was smart enough to first second guess myself. No matter how many times I read the pattern I could figure out why my stitch count wasn’t coming out the way I needed it to. As it turns out, my mistake was not on my current row, but the one before.

The pattern had something along the lines of (K1,P1) 11 Times Place Marker.  Being so brilliant like I am (ha ha), I read this as though I should knit and purl for a total of 11 stitches then place the marker. This, of course, was wrong. So it was no wonder that, on the next row, the stitches for each section were going past the markers. Now, had I been doing the second row correctly, I would passed by one marker and hit the second one, right? Because I had twice the markers I need. Except that the next row at (K1,P1) 8 times for one part of the pattern and I was reading that as only 8 stitches. I have no idea where my brain was that night. I was tired, I know that. I had a headache, of course. All of my knitting knowledge must’ve just taken a vacation.

So after completing 2 rows of decreases incorrectly, it finally dawned on me (or hit me like a ton of bricks) what I had been doing wrong. Which meant I had two rows to rip back and do over. Which would’ve been tedious, but easy enough, except that the decrease method used is S1K2P, which is a pain in the butt to tink back. Plus there were some K3tog in there as well.

So after an hour (at least) spent doing the two rows wrong, tinking them back, and redoing them- I gave up.

I took me a full 24 hours to feel like I was willing to sit down and torture myself with the hat again. I had already been reluctantly working on it because, as I previously stated, I hate switching between knit and purl, such a seed stitch or ribbing. Then with the counting catastrophe, I was feeling really burnt out on this hat.

But I did it. This project is rife with mistakes. I mean, bad. There is a whole row in one of the sections that turned into ribbing instead of seed stitch because I started with K1P1 when I should’ve P1K1. No matter how many times I counted, recounted, and counted again, the number of stitches in the sections kept getting off. I finally gave up on ripping anything back and just charged forward with my flawed work. Somehow, I ended up with a little hole in one spot. No idea how. I didn’t notice the hole until far too late, so I’m just accepting it.

All in all, the yarn for this project was lovely, I’m sure the pattern was great, but it made me ant to rip my hair out.

Here's the cat looking disapproving either of my sloppy knitting or that I was watching Dirty Dancing.

Here’s the cat looking disapproving either of my sloppy knitting or that I was watching Dirty Dancing.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s